If the stores of the body are already full, the body will not accept iron in good quantity. However, there are people who are not properly defended against the toxicities of iron. The overdose in the human body is called hemochromatosis.
The gene in a body that enhances the absorption of iron causes this disease. There are also other reason for which the body suffers from the toxicities like the transfusion of blood repeatedly, dietary iron taken in massive doses and some disorders of metabolism of rare nature. The over consumption over a long period of time may lead to hemosiderosis. This is a condition where deposits hemosiderin which is a protein of iron storage is occurred in large amounts in the tissues of the human body.
The diagnosis of overdose is made when there is an occurrence of damage in the tissues of the human body. If the treatment is not done on time, there could be increased chances of diabetes, cancer in the liver, diseases of heart and arthritis. The very first sign that indicates the toxicity in the human body is stomach pain if the cause is ingestion. This happens because an ulcer develops in the stomach lining. This problem is followed by acute vomiting and then nausea.
For the next 24 hours, the pain will continue and the excess iron will pass into the deeper areas of the body. The internal organs of the body, like the liver and the brain will be gradually damaged. A development of metabolic acidosis will take place inside the human body. The body will suffer from shock and the failure of the liver will eventually lead to death. In infants, a quantity of iron as little as 3 mg can be very harmful for their health.