Vitamin C, also known by the name ascorbic acid, is an important vitamin that is one of the most used by our body. It should be consumed everyday and be an essential component of our daily food diet. The prescribed intake of this Vitamin ranges from forty five milligrams to ninety five milligrams. Vitamin C is an important component of our immunity system and helps in healing wounds and skin repair. It also restricts bleeding from our blood vessels. It also plays an important role in the making of the very important collagen. Collagen is a protein found in our bones, tendons and cartilage. Another important function that it performs is that it lowers the risk of cancer and other such diseases. Vitamin C plays an important role in our body and its functioning.
Vitamin C overdose is the over consumption of the vitamin. This overdose doesn’t usually occur due to the excess intake through our diet. It usually occurs due to the excessive intake of supplements on a regular basis. These supplements are available in different forms such as in the form of tablets, capsules, injections and drink mixes. It is consumed by those people who want to avoid deficiency diseases. The excess consumption of supplements such as these results in overdose. It is a good thing that this vitamin is a water soluble nutrient. This is because water soluble nutrients do not get stored in the human body for long and can be excreted easily. Thus they do not accumulate in our body and harm us. Thus overdose is a very rare medical condition and usually occurs to those who are regular consumers of C supplements in excess of the recommended dosage.
Vitamin C overdose can occur due to several different reasons. The recommended intake of the vitamin depends on the age and other factors of the human being concerned. When this level of intake (forty five milligrams to ninety five milligrams) is exceeded, then it gives rise to overdose. A single capsule contains about a hundred to two hundred milligrams of this Vitamin. This excess consumption when taken regularly over a long duration causes overdose.
Overdose is a non-toxic medical condition. It causes several problems such as nausea, diarrhoea and kidney stones. Other such problems of Vitamin C overdose depend upon the amount taken and the age of the person concerned. Other factors also influence the conditions of overdose. At high levels, the concerned person may suffer from problems like face flushing, headaches, vomiting and disturbed sleep. Other symptoms include increased urination, gas problems, stomach cramps and back or joint pain. Overdose is also responsible for causing iron poisoning as it increases the iron absorption capacity of the body. On the other hand it also causes a severe deficiency in the copper levels of the human body.
There are several different symptoms. One of this is the increase in the acid level of the body. This overdose is responsible for the increase in the amount of the uric acid in urine. This acid if not properly excreted often results in the formation of kidney stones.
When you take too much, the first thing you should do is immediately lessen your intake. It should also be stopped for a while. Drinking a good amount of water will also help. Thus one must be careful of the intake of Vitamin C as too much of a good thing is a bad thing too.