The high storage level of vitamins in our body is known as vitamin overdose or vitamin poisoning. Vitamin overdose results in toxic symptoms. The medical name of the different vitamin overdoses depends on the vitamin involved. The excess of vitamin A in our body in known as hypervitaminosis A. An overdose generally occurs due to the intake of high amounts of supplements. It cannot arise from the intake of food containing vitamin A. It is a fat soluble vitamin which makes its overdose very harmful. This is because it gets stored in the body and thus gets accumulated. Therefore, one should always be careful about the intake as it can have serious consequences on the human body.
Vitamin A overdose starts developing if a person consumes twenty five thousand IU or more of Vitamin A over a long period of time. This period of long time means several months or years. There are several symptoms of an overdose such as bone pain, blurred vision, and loss of appetite. It also causes headaches, skin scaling and weakness in the muscles. An overdose doesn’t really kill people but it can have very serious consequences.
High levels of content may occur due to excess consumption of turkey, eggs, liver or because of the consumption of supplements like retinyl acetate or retinyl palmitate. These supplements are absorbed very quickly by the human body and eliminated very slowly. This is a particularly dangerous phenomenon as the vitamin is absorbed by the fats and is stored in the body. This happens because the vitamin binds with special proteins in the human body.
Vitamin overdose may occur over a long period of low intakes or over a short period of high intake. Also, vitamin overdose occurs more in children as compared to adults. This is because children reach toxic vitamin A levels even at smaller doses of it. Vitamin A is very harmful to pregnant women and can cause defects while childbirth.
Another side effect of a beta carotene overdose is the colouring of the skin. The human skin turns a yellow-orange shade. This is because this vitamin gets stored under our skin in the fat. This is why it shows and gives us the tan. This colour can be reduced with the reduced intake of vitamin A goes off in a couple of weeks.
The safest way to avoid consuming too much is to consume it through beta carotene sources. The minimum amount of vitamin A that a regular person should be consuming is between twenty three hundred IU to three thousand IU. This amount depends on the sex of the person. And if an individual wants to get all the benefits of Vitamin A, then the required level should be between ten thousand IU fifteen thousand IU per day.
Vitamin A overdose is a very serious problem and can have very bad consequences. One must take the necessary precautions and more importantly be aware as to how it occurs and how it can be cured.