Vitamin D overdose is diagnosed with the help of the level of calcidiol serum. The calcidiol level should be between 32-70 ng/ml in healthy adults. The serum level of the Vitamin D hormone remains normal even during overdose, but researchers believe that that the levels are outdated. Recent studies suggest that Vitamin D amounting to 10,000 IU is normal and only if the serum level is heightened due to the intake of supplements then alone can it be termed as an overdose. Consuming Vitamin D supplements to counter the natural deficiency, results in overdose. It has been noted that overdose takes place because of manufacturing accidents where the dosage quantity is more than it is supposed to be.
Vitamin D overdose is usually rare as the food products that we consume do not have sufficient amount to cause an overdose. Our body is so modeled that in case there is an excess of it, it stores the excess quantity for later use without any problem. If there is an excess, the body will maintain a steady amount of calcium and phosphorus to create a balance within the body. This balancing is necessary to prevent calcification, as a deficiency of Vitamin D in the blood, there will be serious dental problems. In case of calcium deficiency, administering it has to be supervised by experts to avoid overdose.
Vitamin D overdose though rare is possible. Especially children who are given the D supplements through drops or injections are prone to it. Care is to be taken to administer the correct dosage. The government agencies of different countries have the upper limit for the intake of it is fixed. It is settled at 2000 UI per day. Scientists however claim that this is not the safe limit, people can take up to 10,000- 40,000 UI per day and still wouldn’t be suffering from an overdose. Researchers have found out that the person is prone to overdose only if the person takes it at such high dose along in spite of having a high calcium level.
There are misconceptions that while Vitamin D overdose can occur through intake of supplements it can also take place due to over exposure to sunlight. This is however baseless since even after staying in the sun for a long time, a person can only absorb only about 20,000 UL. This is because our body has been created to absorb only as much of it as is required by it and upon reaching the limit it shuts down.
Thus we see that an overdose is a very rare phenomenon of no serious threat and it need not be worried about.